Tuesday, August 12, 2008

An unplugged... plug?

OK, so I can't think of a better title. Hey, by the way. Member me? I'm that person who goes for a month or two at a time without updating this thing. I promise you I've got a bunch to post in the next day or two, but today before I forget, I need to give a shameless plug to a very old, very special friend of mine. Her name is Anna Sudac That link there will take you to her myspace page, where you can listen to some of her recordings. She doesn't have a cd out yet, but one's on the way.

The first time I saw Anna was when I was 11 years old ant an open house for the French emersion school I would attend the following year. This school was small, only grade 7 and 8, but they had an amazing school music program, including a jazz ocxtet. I remember Anna sang a solo on Manhatton Transfer's Boy from New York City. From then on, I was amazed. I don't know what was so special about her voice that I loved so much, but there was definitely something. Over the years I watched her play leading rolls in school musicals such as Annie get your Gun and the Sound of Music. She was always one of those really talented popular girls that I totally envied and wanted to be just like. Finally, in grade 11, I actually met her face to face for the first time at a party we were both attending. I was in Theatre Complete, a focus program for students interested in drama at the time, and Anna had been in the program a few years previous. So we were at a TC party, and she came up to me and said that we really should sing together sometime, and thus a beautiful, amazing friendship was born. We sang together at several school events, even a few charity oction thingies. Then in 03 I left to enter the world of W Ross and I never saw her since. We emailed ocasionally, but it was tricky to stay in touch.

Then, when I came home and joined Shout Sister, her cousin gave me her new email address and we started communicating again. Not a lot, but definitely more than we had been. When I heard she was coming home to KTown for the summer, we decided we'd have to hook up. She was playing a gig tonight at a place called the Bru Pub, and she encouraged me to come see her. Yeah, like I'd miss that. I brought along my aunt, my brother, his girlfriend and her brother, and it was pretty amazing. I got some recordings that I'm going to go through tomorrow when I'm not half asleep and see how they turned out. I totally didn't realize how much I loved and miss Anna until I heard that amazing voice again this evening. We're hanging out and having apicnic on Friday, busting out guitars and probably singing in the park. Why the hell not! I can't wait to get some time to myself with this woman of such fame around these parts. So to the four people who actually read this thing, please please please go check out her myspace, and if you like it spread the word, thereby making me her best friend, and possibly helping her to not be a starving artist in Toronto for much longer. I promise I will update this thing again very soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home